Software Development Manager
The Global Data Analytics team enables Discovery Communications to turn data into action. Using big data platforms, data warehousing and business intelligence technology, audience data, advanced analytics, data science, visualization, and self-service analytics, this team supports company efforts to increase revenue, drive ratings, and enhance consumer engagement.
The ETL Big Data Developer should be a technical contributor who has hands-on knowledge of all phases in building large-scale cloud based distributed data processing systems and applications. You will be part of the Global Data & Analytics engineering technology team and will partner closely with a team of data scientists, business analysts, Data Engineers and ETL Developers leading Discovery's cloud-based Analytics strategy.
You'll work on implementing AWS based big data ETL projects with a focus on Transforming, Merginga and creating various DataMars and centralized data ware house using multiple technology platforms.
This position is responsible for extensive Analysis, design and development of Data warehouse projects to solve complex problems that require the consideration of operating systems capacity and limitations, operating time and form of desired results. Provides technical contribution in the development of detailed specifications from which programs will be written and perform design, coding, testing, debugging and documentation.
• Design processes to extract, transform and load the source data to the targets and Data marts.
• Develop complex code to load data in to Data marts using AWS/EMR Spark and Scala
• Perform unit and system testing on the processes and resulting data lake tables.
• Create test cases and test the data.
• Mentor others on the team with product functionality and provide guidelines and solutions on performance tuning techniques and industry best practices.
• Understanding the existing environment, translating into new environment requirements and planning tasks to meet those requirements.
• Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Sciences or similar
• Minimum of 5-6 years Software Industry experience
• 3+ years of development experience with AWS services Must have EC2, EMR , RedShift, Snowflake,Data Pipeline or Airflow, S3, Jenkins
• Experience creating and managing complex data architectures
• Experience with data warehousing databases Redshift, oracle and techniques
• 4+ years of extensive working knowledge in different programming Scala ( Must ), Shell and Python (Must).
• Proficiency working with structured, semi-structured and unstructured data sets including social, web logs and real time streaming data feeds
• Expert level usage with Jenkins, GitHub is preferred
• Spark developer certification is a plus
• Experience in the media industry is a plus
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkkx68-3-239-118-166-42 in your application.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.