New Graduate Software Engineer (Bangalore/Pune)
About the Organization:
Discovery Direct-to-Consumer is the technology arm of Discovery Inc.
We work at the intersection of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility, continuously leveraging technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT) and a suite of applications to support all our global brands. These include Discovery+, Food Network Kitchen, GolfTV, MotorTrend on Demand, Eurosport Player, and many more. We are building modern container-based microservices operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and much more. We build user experiences ranging from traditional video streaming, to highly interactive and immersive applications. We build across connected TV, web, mobile and consoles and are fast, nimble and have fun building world-class products for our iconic brands. This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
Why Join the Discovery Team?
Discovery's Direct-to- Consumer team offers a truly unique experience. As a Graduate Software Engineer, you'll make an almost immediate impact, helping to create world class global streaming products and the platform that powers them. You'll be able to build features that help to refine the modern viewing experience for millions. We're a global team, but with many of the benefits of working in a start-up environment, building from the ground up. We encourage our engineers to take educated risks, we celebrate mistakes, and we learn from them as a team. You'll also work with and learn from highly talented engineers, using cutting-edge technology to deliver immense value for passionate superfans around the world. We have a genuinely open culture and expect great ideas to come from everyone and look forward to the fresh perspective and new ideas our graduates bring!
Key Features of the Program:
• Project Assignments: Individuals joining the program will gain experience building world-class, innovative consumer facing products and features, for globally recognized entertainment brands, consumed by millions of superfans across the globe, using the news technologies and methodologies.
• Onboarding and Bootcamp: Our bootcamp is designed to accelerate impact, by immersing our graduates in all things Discovery Direct-to-Consumer. It's an opportunity to establish your network and lay a foundation that allows you to confidently dive into the complex challenges you'll be solving everyday.
• Mentorship Program: You'll be aligned with a mentor who will act as a guide and informally help you navigate your first year as a Software Engineer, grow your network, and gain exposure to areas of interest outside of your day-to-day.
• Career Coaching: During your first months here, you'll receive tailored career advice and guidance from experienced engineers, and leaders who have been where you are, and will share useful tips and insights into how they have successfully navigated their careers.
• Global Network and Opportunities: Our engineers work across different regions, countries, and cultures to create a seamless experience for our customers regardless of geography. This program will provide organic and structured opportunities to build effective and meaningful relationships with fellow engineers from across the globe.
• Accelerated Growth: We've brought together a team of the industry's best to re-imagine the viewing experience and build phenomenal products and experiences from the ground up. As the newest members of the team, you'll experience continuous growth and development and ultimately have the opportunity to determine and pursue the type of work that excites and challenges you.
• Compensation: Competitive base salary, incentive bonus, and comprehensive benefits package.
What you need to know about the DTC New Graduate Software Engineering Program Application Process:
• This is a full-time, salaried role.
• The application deadline is 19th November.
• We do not require a cover letter. Please demonstrate your passion for the position through your resume.
We are interviewing through Fall 2021. A Discovery DTC Tech Recruiter will contact you if your experiences and interest match an open Software Developer Engineering position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.
Our Company Values:
Discovery is governed by our eight guiding principles:
We Are... One Team, Creative Dreamers, Doers. Consumer Obsessed. Global, Quick & Agile, Purposeful and We Do the Right Thing
Discovery's Guiding Principles define the distinctive character, spirit and attitude of our organization. They inspire how we design our future and recruit talent.
Diversity & Inclusion:
Disclaimer: Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
What You Will Do:
• Create world-class global streaming products and the platform that powers them.
• Develop your area of expertise on the features and services you help build along with a group of talented engineers.
• Take end to end ownership of product features and own the technical and operational excellence of these products.
• Contribute to the product and services development process; Design and test your own hypophysis by collecting and measuring data.
• In addition to academic qualifications, we look for proactive problem solvers, motivated to learn and able to collaborate and exchange ideas and most importantly be a team player.
• Degree in Computer Science or related field.
• Software development experience coding in a general-purpose programming language.
• Prior Intern experience as a developer in a consumer-focused company.
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Effective communication skills in both verbal and written communication.
• Desire to work on a diverse team.
• Knowledge of distributed systems, mobile and OTT client apps, video streaming, codecs, video delivery and broadcast workflows is a big plus.
• Must be graduating in 2022.
• Must have at least a 7.5 CGPA.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dyo3nm-3-81-89-248-42 in your application.