Digital Video Editor
London, United Kingdom
Discovery, Inc. is a global leader in real life entertainment, serving a passionate audience of superfans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages. Discovery is a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens, from linear, free-to-air and pay–TV channels to digital products, streaming services, social & mobile-first content and formats.
Working within Post Production, the Content Editor is primarily responsible for cutting original content, onlining, reversioning and cutting to clock materials (Long form and Short form) for transmission. This role requires advanced editing, graphics and grading skills using Avid Media Composer/Symphony, Adobe Premiere, After Effects and Baselight. Strong storytelling abilities and a thorough understanding of broadcast and technical Post Production workflows are essential.
The Content Editor will provide high levels of customer service to internal, wider business and external clients. The Content Editor will be required to highlight any client needs, edit sessions or workflow challenges/efficiencies to the Technical Operations Supervisor and bookings team as required. You will be required to work on a cross-section of content including compliance edit projects as well as working on complex offline or online projects. This role will also require observing and logging any technical or operational issues and includes Quality Assessment work as part of the duties.
• Edit original content from rushes, able to offline, online and grade shows using Avid Media Composer/Symphony, Adobe Premiere and Baselight
• Perform edits according to Discovery tech specs, edit instructions and style guides
• Create graphics, titles, captions etc. using After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator, either by adapting a pre-supplied GFX package/template or from scratch.
• Ensure that all aspects of Ofcom, NICAM and all other Codes of Practice relating to the channels and broadcast are observed
• Engage with clients (Reversioning, Promo, Commissioning teams) to maintain the look and feel of the Discovery channels
• Communicate queries or missing materials to Edit Bookings, the Edit Coordinators, the Media Management Team, and liase with the Content Operations Team
• Report any technical problems to the Post Production Engineering team and feedback any issues to the Technical Operations Supervisor
• Maintain QC standards of newly created materials
• Accurate metadata entry on systems and documentation
• Ensuring all operational procedures are followed
• Support the Technical Operations Supervisor in day to day operating duties
• Prioritise and deal with queries as quickly and efficiently as possible
• Analyse the current workflow and propose/report anything that can be improved
• Training junior members of the D-Post edit team and the wider team
• Additional Ad hoc duties as required
• You may be required to work shifts (days, nights and weekends shifts)
• Advanced knowledge of Avid Media Composer and Adobe After Effects is absolutely essential
• Grading skills using Avid Symphony and/or Baselight Editions are desirable.
• Good understanding of Ofcom and NICAM code of practices, the DPP and EBU regulations
• An impeccable attention to detail is a must
• Ability to diagnose and repair erroneous content
• Basic understanding of the AVID Interplay server is a plus
• Experience of other non-linear editing platforms is also a plus
• Ability to coordinate, prioritize and edit in a fast paced environment
• Ability to work well under pressure
• Technical training and experience in a recognised post facility or media-based organisation.
• Advanced knowledge of file-based workflows and broadcast technology
• Good operational knowledge of editing working within a team environment
• Excellent understanding of video and audio theory
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to identify and prioritize problems
• Decision making skills
• Although not essential, language skills in addition to English are advantageous, particularly Polish and Spanish.
This is a 12 month Fixed Term position
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.