What will you be doing?
Seek truth. Break news. Hold the powerful accountable. That's the mission of CNN's investigative team. We dig into topics of national interest, including criminal and social justice issues, the environment, health care, public and private corporations, government integrity, and border and immigration matters.
We produce investigations for digital and broadcast. We tell original stories that have helped prompt change and right wrongs. Our stories can be in-depth projects that take months to pursue, but they can also be quick-turn investigations or enterprise pieces that emerge from the news.
The right candidate for this job will be equally adept at covering rapidly unfolding news events and diving into complex investigations. For this role, we're seeking a skilled investigative reporter who also has experience editing deep-dive digital stories. While the right candidate will primarily pitch, report and write a high-impact investigative stories, we will also rely on this person to edit stories from time-to-time, especially during breaking news events. This journalist should be well versed in how to find and use public records and be creative in finding solutions to reporting obstacles.
The position requires an energetic, self-sufficient multitasker who works collaboratively. Above all, the job requires a critical eye and uncompromising commitment to facts, fairness and integrity.
We are eager to consider candidates from a wide range of backgrounds within news reporting.
Our team is based in multiple cities. We prefer reporters to be located in our New York, Washington DC or Atlanta bureaus, but remote work may be possible for the right candidate.
What do we need from you?
• The ability to find, report and edit groundbreaking stories that advance the mission of our unit
• Experience editing long-form and breaking news digital stories.
• The skills and willingness to switch gears between high-adrenaline breaking news and long-term, in-depth pursuits
• Commitment to accuracy, fairness and integrity above all else
• Ability to travel and manage time and resources wisely
• Flexibility and willingness to work an extended schedule as the news cycle and deadlines require
• Skilled at shooting and editing videos to produce visually dynamic packages
• Ability to distill complicated topics, develop sources and conduct successful interviews
• The ability to package our investigative work for social media platforms to leverage audience engagement
• BA/BS in related discipline or equivalent work experience
• 8+ years of editorial experience
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r11x8x-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.