Copy Editor (CNN+)
The CNN Copy Editor is responsible for checking scripts for accuracy, style, balance and conformity to the Executive Producer's instructions and CNN Standards. This includes checking source material, verifying font and tape information and printing scripts when they are ready for air.
Copy editors may be called upon to write some scripts. A copy editor may also be asked to review a writer's performance. The copy editor is expected to be a close adviser to the producer on any editorial issues or problems that arise with assigned scripts.
• Editing copy so scripts are easy to understand, more interesting and more user-friendly.
• Work towards compelling and conversational anchor copy that is accurate and up to date.
• Print scripts when ready.
• Check accuracy of all components of program, including graphics and other on-air editorial elements.
• Rework scripts when necessary.
• Work to improve network-wide accuracy by pointing out errors if/when they occur in Wires CNN or other resources, or on the air.
• Demonstrate a strong familiarity with CNN Stylebook and CNN Legal Standards to ensure consistency that increases CNN's credibility.
• Demonstrate proficiency with CNN font codes to make our on-air product look smart and communicates useful information clearly.
• Correct format scripts with instructions to director on left side.
• View video and graphics to make sure scripts and images match.
• 5 years full time broadcast news writing and/or editing preferred.
• Four-year college degree or equivalent in proven industry experience required.
• Editing skills-checking accuracy, balance, language, style.
• Ability to produce quality work quickly.
• Flexibility to adapt during breaking news.
• Capability to adapt to program or anchor style and rewrite when necessary.
• Must be eager, cooperative, energetic, team oriented.
• Leads writer team and takes active role in many aspects of program preparation.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7ee1p-3-236-212-116-42 in your application.