CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major US markets, the CBS News Streaming Network, CBS News Streaming local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation's #1 news program 60 MINUTES, the CBS News Streaming Network, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND EVENING NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and podcasts, Paramount +, all digital platforms, and the CBS News Streaming Network, the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service that is available free to everyone with access to the internet. The CBS News Streaming Network is the destination for breaking news, live events, original reporting and storytelling, and programs from CBS News and Stations' top anchors and correspondents working locally, nationally and around the globe. CBS News' streaming services, across national and local, amassed more than 1.01 billion streams in 2021. Launched in November 2014 as CBSN, the CBS News Streaming Network is available on 30 digital platforms and apps, as well as CBSNews.com and Paramount+. The service is available live in 91 countries. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today's digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast news division.
CBS News is seeking a WGA Planning Producer to help direct and manage our streaming network's daily coverage line-up! From scheduling correspondents and camera positions to coordinating live interviews and future-event logistics, and jumping in during breaking news, this role is a key part of our live programming team and reports to the director of planning. The ideal candidate has a proven ability to coordinate with editorial leaders and live-show producers, as well as bureau chiefs, field producers and correspondents, to ideate, plan and bring to air same-day and future coverage. The planning producer will collaborate with production and publishing units across streaming, network news and digital, and will also be a key point of contact working with partners, such as The Weather Channel, as well as Paramount Global properties.
As a hardworking journalist, the producer is equally interested in domestic and international news, and thrives on organization and attention to detail. You enjoy working in a fast-paced news environment, pitching original ideas daily, researching segments and pre-producing special coverage, and rising to the occasion during breaking news events.
• Coordinate with assignment desk, booking team, show producers, domestic and international bureau editors on the planning of day-to-day programming and major news events
• Identify and pitch stories with high potential for compelling and comprehensive live video storytelling, including day-of-air, special and feature segments
• Collaborate with digital reporters to develop original segments based on their reporting
• Gather elements during breaking news as needed
• Contribute to the streaming network's news event and coverage calendar
• Communicate coverage plans to streaming-network and broadcast stakeholders
• Work closely with the planning director and senior staff to produce editorial content
• Execute assignments including research, writing questions for anchors for guest segments, and exercising editorial judgment in selection of elements for live segments
• Order graphics and write banners for assigned stories and segments
• Develop in-show promotion strategies including graphical elements
• Serve as back-up segment producer as coverage needs may require, coordinating video, graphics and soundbites with control room team during segments
• Work with Digital Line Producers and editors to review and update segments after they air
• 5+ years work experience in either a broadcast or streaming television newsroom, ideally at the national level with some segment producing experience
• Hands on newsroom experience scheduling correspondents, booking studios, and gathering elements during breaking news
• Proficiency and knowledge of current events, politics and pop culture
• Understanding of control room operations
• Ability to research and write questions for anchors for guest segments, exercising editorial judgment in selection of elements for segments
• Demonstrated ability pitching and completing special and feature segments
• Ability to communicate with anchors and correspondents on segments
• Command of AP style and broadcast writing
• Familiarity and working knowledge of digital video production-related techniques and online content management
• Availability to work all shifts, including early morning, nights, weekends and holidays, on short notice and as coverage needs require, as this is a 24-hour news operation
• Knowledge about social media and the competitive digital news environment
• Familiarity with ENPS
• Basic video editing skills
• Experience shooting video is a plus
This is a New York-based position and is eligible for Paramount Global's hybrid work policy.
This is a position covered under the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the WGA-E
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gp0q7o-44-201-94-72-42 in your application.