National Environmental Correspondent (Multiple Locations)
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major US markets, the CBS News Streaming Network, CBS News Streaming local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation's #1 news program 60 MINUTES, the CBS News Streaming Network, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND EVENING NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and podcasts, Paramount +, all digital platforms, and the CBS News Streaming Network, the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service that is available free to everyone with access to the internet. The CBS News Streaming Network is the destination for breaking news, live events, original reporting and storytelling, and programs from CBS News and Stations' top anchors and correspondents working locally, nationally and around the globe. CBS News' streaming services, across national and local, amassed more than 1.01 billion streams in 2021. Launched in November 2014 as CBSN, the CBS News Streaming Network is available on 30 digital platforms and apps, as well as CBSNews.com and Paramount+. The service is available live in 91 countries. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today's digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast news division.
You're not just passionate about climate, geography, topography, biology, geology and chemistry; you're intrigued with how those subjects intersect with economies, politics, culture and more. CBS Television Stations is seeking an experienced, aggressive National Environmental Correspondent to tell those stories and build an innovative franchise recognized by audiences in major markets across the nation. The correspondent's primary focus will be identifying and generating impactful, in-depth content of national importance that is localized for multiple markets, with compelling storytelling and innovative, multiplatform delivery. Additionally, this position will serve as an expert resource for CBS Television Stations seeking guidance and training for environmental journalism. The Environmental Unit will be part of the CTS Innovation Lab, which experiments with next-generation storytelling, and tests new products, workflows and production models for the future. The unit will collaborate with the group's news and special projects teams as well as across all CBS News and Stations platforms.
- Ideate, research, create and present timely and topical environmental stories with high value to a broad audience. Produce content and projects with consistent frequency and impact for the newscasts, specials, streams, websites and apps of CBS News and Stations.
- Generate creative, innovative ideas about storytelling, content differentiation and audience engagement that support and enhance the mission of the CTS Innovation Lab.
- Aggressively develop and execute angles to elevate breaking news and major story coverage.
- Expertly improve newsgathering and investigative tactics to obtain information and story elements, such as developing relationships, cultivating sources, strategically landing interviews, navigating open records laws and using computer-assisted reporting techniques.
- Communicate frequently and optimally with respect and candor, and maintain highly collaborative, productive working environments and relationships with management and news personnel. Represent the company professionally at all times in interactions.
- Work closely with management, producers and legal counsel in crafting accurate, well-documented, bulletproof stories.
- Demonstrate full engagement with content marketing efforts on all platforms.
- Report from various locations as needed for the gathering and presentation of content.
- Must be willing to work an unpredictable and varied schedule as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- 10+ years' experience as an investigative and environmental reporter in a medium to large market.
- Proven track record of innovative, strategic content that strengthens brand definition and audience growth.
- Journalism degree or similar strongly preferred.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn978m-44-192-65-228-42 in your application.