BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world's largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is looking for a strong creative and business lead for a full-time, 6 month contract position on our US team (with possibility to extend after the first 6 months). As part of a new editorial endeavor, the person in this role will hire and lead a small team focused on creating accessible and inclusive travel content for a largely millennial and Gen Z audience.
The ideal candidate will have a strong perspective on travel, experience leading a cross-functional team, exceptional communication skills, and an interest in moving quickly and working collaboratively to create compelling audience-driven content.
If you're the type of person who spent their quarantine in a constant state of wanderlust, is constantly being asked to send their travel tips to friends and family, and plans to use every holiday and PTO day as an opportunity to visit somewhere new (once the world reopens), we'd love to hear from you!
• Develop and execute a content strategy across multiple platforms to build audience and readership within the broad scope of service-driven travel content
• Hire and manage a small team of writers, producers and freelance contributors
• Work with the social and audience development teams to analyze performance data and trends to be shared with internal business and content teams
• Professional experience in the area of travel content, or a very strong personal interest and high level of knowledge
• Experience hiring and managing people in creative roles, especially writers and/or video producers
Nice to Haves:
• Experience with SEO
• Experience working on affiliate marketing content or other performance-driven campaigns
FYI - just because you don't have a college degree or meet every requirement doesn't mean we don't want to hear from you. If you think you'd be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please include a response to the following with your application:
• Tell us about your travel planning process (e.g.: what influences your decision to visit a destination, how do you find unique things to do, how do you find a good deal, what ~special tricks~ do you use that most people don't know about, etc.).
• Tell us about a couple of travel resources or booking tools that you're passionate about
• Tell us about where you see the most compelling and accessible travel content on the internet right now
• Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d91j57-18-232-179-37-42 in your application.