- Full Time
Job DescriptionWWTI-ABC50 has an immediate opening for a Digital Multimedia Journalist (MMJ).
This is a unique position that will include digital reporting in the studio and in the field.
The MMJ should be an energetic, creative and innovative writer who produces sharable content. Candidates should know how to shoot and edit their own work and generate videos and infographics. Strong storytellers are preferred. A solid understanding of social media is a must.
The MMJ will file a steady stream of original stories to our website to break news, shed light on hot topics, dig deeper into the details and background of breaking stories and call attention to issues not yet on the agenda.
Exceptional writing skills and mature judgment are both a must. Familiarity with AP Style writing & digital publication are a plus. The MMJ will produce segments which are original stories exclusive to our digital platform. They will have a strong understanding of how to effectively use social media to publicize stories and connect with the audience.
The MMJ must be able to balance multiple stories while creating content for InformNNY.com and social media. The ideal candidate will think outside-the-box to craft stories with a unique presentation. The candidate must maintain knowledge of current events and online trends
• Reports, shoots and edits news stories and events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches stories to the news director which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with the news director to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to ad lib when required
• Proficiency with cameras, microphones, computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Multimedia Journalist must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Multimedia Journalist must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8zojk-35-172-224-102-42 in your application.
Find More Jobs Like This
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.